Gun Safe and Gun Vault Features and Specifications Explained
Below find explanations of the features and specifications found in all Merik Gun Safes and Gun Vaults:
- Advanced Fire Protection - Fire resistant safes should have a minimum of a 1-hour fire rating. The typical home fire burns in the 800 to 1200 degree Fahrenheit temperature range. If the rating is 90 minutes, then the interior of the safe should remain lower than 350 degrees for at least 90 minutes. This is important because paper chars at 350° and burns at 450°.
- Door Plate Steel Thickness - This is the steel encasing the door. It is clear that a high-quality gun safe or vault with a heavier gauge layer of steel encasing the door will be significantly more difficult to attack with hand tools, saws and drills.
- Exterior Wall Steel Thickness - Many big box stores, mass merchandisers and online discount stores tend to feature safes having exterior wall steel thicknesses from 12 gauge to 20 gauge. We know these steel gauges are inadequate to stand up to a sustained attack. We won't even categorize a 12 gauge to 20 gauge product a "safe"... we consider this a "cabinet" ...that may keep your handguns out of your children's hands, but will not deter a burglar for more than just a few minutes. Far better options are safes having an exterior wall thickness between 10 gauge and 3 gauge.
NOTE: The higher the steel gauge number of the steel, the thinner the steel.The lower the gauge number, the thicker the steel.More steel ALWAYS equals more security.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"... Ben Franklin.
- Inner Liner Steel Thickness - This is the SECONDARY layer of steel inside the safe. The inner steel liner thickness varies from safe model to model. There are multiple purposes for the inner steel liner. The liner prevents movement of insulation board during a fire. The inner liner is an additional deterrent… if a burglar is successful drilling through the outer steel wall he will be faced with another steel layer to deal with. Additionally, gaining access to the inner steel liner is difficult at best. Because time is of the essence before a homeowner returns or the police arrive when an alarm system is triggered, we feel inner liners are quite important and are furnished as standard equipment in all MERIK gun safes and gun vaults.
- Deluxe Door Organizer - Properly organizing your pistols, knives, and possessions on your door is vital especially when you need quick access. Our deluxe door organizer is furnished with zippered compartments for documents and currency and multiple re-arrangeable pistol holsters so you can arrange your weapons so they are convenient and easily accessed by you.
- Pre-cut Anchor Holes and Wedge Bolts - All MERIK gun safes and gun vaults are provided with 6 pre-cut anchor holes and 6 anchor bolts to securely fasten your safe to the floor. Burglars have been known to tip a safe over if not secured to the floor. They do this to gain better leverage in attempting to compromise the safe door with heavy duty pry bars and sledge hammers. If a burglar comes prepared with the tools and the equipment to take a safe with them and break it open in their own environment where they have hand tools, saws, drills, no distractions, an unlimited amount of time and a place where they can make as much noise as they need to without alerting anyone...then you know it is probably an "inside job".
- Intumescent Seal - What is it? It is a seal (or strip) that is installed completely around the inner part of the door jamb, that when exposed to heat from a fire the seal's thermoplastic covering melts and the underlying material within the seal expands (like foam) creating a barrier to prevent heat and smoke from entering the safe or vault and damaging or destroying the contents within the safe.
- Heavy-duty Welded Hinges - Many safe manufacturers advise that hidden hinges are just as good as exposed surface mounted welded hinges. This is incorrect. Hidden internal hinges may cause "hot spots" if insulation is removed to accommodate the installation of the hidden internal hinges. Exterior surface mounted welded hinges eliminate the possibility of creating hot spots inside the safe. Most hidden internal hinges are also susceptible to damage simply by quickly opening the door to its limit which is usually 110 degrees. Not being able to completely open the safe door often blocks access to some of the items stored in your safe on the same side as the hinges. Exterior surface mounted welded hinges provide 180-degree clear access to the items stored in the safe, and allows for easy removal of the door when moving or servicing the safe, if ever necessary.
- Dual Relockers - also known as Mechanical Relockers - A mechanical relocker is an internally mounted mechanism located inside the door that is provided as a secondary protective system. A Remote relocker works in conjunction with the primary relocker mechanism. It triggers a self-contained bolt within the door making the door virtually impossible to open.
- Interior LED Lights - LED lights are bright white lights that use less power and have been proven to be a more reliable source of light than other available lighting options. Merik LED lights also come standard with motion sensors so the lights turn on and off automatically when the safe door is opened or closed.
- AC Power Supply Outlet with USB Port - One of the most convenient features in a MERIK gun safe and vault. Most gun safe manufacturers provide a small hole in the back of their safe to run a power cord to either a light strip or a dehumidifier. You may even need to move the safe to run the wire into the safe. MERIK provides the AC Power Supply Outlet and USB Ports pre-installed within each safe. Just plug the power supply cord in, set your safe in place, bolt it securely to the floor... and you are good to go.
- Dehumidifier - Moisture causes corrosion. Storing firearms, important documents, memorabilia, and paper currency in a damp environment run a high risk of experiencing serious damage to your stored items. All MERIK gun safes and gun vaults are furnished with a dehumidifier as standard equipment.